Admitting Representative II - Emergency Room (Nights)
Company: Houston Methodist
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The Admitting Rep II is
responsible for complex patient access activities that facilitate
efficient operations, expeditious reimbursement and optimal
customer satisfaction. In addition, the Admitting Rep II is
responsible for capture of accurate demographics and insurance
information. It is also the responsibility of the Admitting Rep II
to adhere to all departmental, hospital, government and/or any
other healthcare licensing agency requirements related to EMTALA
and HIPAA. The incumbent will employ effective communication
skills; demonstrate ICARE values in every interaction. Competency
requirements for computer entry, as well as, insurance procedures
will be maintained. The Admitting Rep II also performs cashiering
functions, and promotes the Point of Service collections for the
organization which may include collecting prior balances, co-pays,
deductibles and co-insurance amounts.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Neonate to Geriatric
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides significant input for and assistance with the
implementation of team-oriented process improvement initiatives
according to assigned protocol.
- Contributes to the departmental and hospital patient
satisfaction and proactively seeks opportunities to improve
processes and variables that impact patient satisfaction.
- Models communication skills and professional demeanor in all
interactions with customers and co-workers. Communicates openly in
a non-judgmental manner and in a professional demeanor, during all
interactions with customers and co-workers.
- Proactively seeks solutions to address patient issues and
concerns; demonstrates skill in defusing tensions and resolving
minor disputes with patients or co-workers.
- Observes area for tasks needing attention or assistance that
may be needed during slow periods and initiates efforts among team
members to respond appropriately. Offers assistance without being
prompted and takes the initiative to perform other tasks when the
area slows down.
- Resolves complex patient issues, including any necessary
follow-up to ensure complete resolution. Takes necessary measures
to ensure that errors or misunderstandings are not repeated.
- Interprets and effectively communicates compliance
requirements, and insurance guidelines, stipulations, and payment
processes, as well as necessary forms and signatures.
- Consistently protects health information remains private and
confidential, according to established HIPAA guidelines.
- Performs complex patient access transactions and documentation,
ensuring accuracy and appropriateness of transactions.
- Conducts complex registration activity to facilitate efficient
patient access, and collaborates with servicing departments and/or
clinical professionals to ensure an optimal patient
- Stays abreast of the most current distributed information
regarding third party requirements, and apprises Management when
changes or trends significant to reimbursement and patient
satisfaction are found in the course of performing daily
- Thoroughly understands processes and options and responds
appropriately to questions about financial concerns.
- Performs accurate and complete registrations, ensuring all
necessary components are included and all concerns are addressed
before releasing the patient to the servicing area.
- Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents
promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Complies with
applicable laws, regulation, guidelines and standards regarding
safety and infection control issues.
- Coordinates and consolidates payer-specific patient access and
- Ensures that services trends and compliance issues that surface
are brought to the attention of Management in a timely manner.
Ensures that ordered services meet established medical necessity
criteria by performing the PCA (Pathways Compliance Advisor) or any
other medical necessity check review, if and when warranted.
- Proficiently calculates and skillfully collects payments, fully
utilizing all resources and tools at the most effective level.
Communicates deficiencies in tools and resources to Management in a
timely manner. Collects payments based on pre-determined
information provided by the insurance verification team. Absent
this information, proactively performs insurance eligibility and
verification to ensure reimbursement for services. If applicable,
extends payment plans, after the minimum required payment has been
- Accurately posts and receipts patient payments. Balances cash
drawer on a daily basis; follows the department policy related to
cash drawers and cash receipting.
- Attends and actively participates in department meetings,
in-services and team-building exercises. Initiates and drives
team-oriented process improvement actions for the purpose of better
serving the needs of the organization and the patients.
- Participates in departmental and hospital performance
- Supports the Admitting team needs when area admission
requirements are completed and/or indicated by workdriver.
- Supports other Admission area needs and collaborates with other
facility departments or other HM hospitals as indicated by
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and
the employee will also perform other reasonably related business
duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management
as required. The Houston Methodist Hospital reserves the right to
revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need
High School graduate or GED
College hours preferred
2 years' registration, or related,
experience in a hospital environment.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND
- Computer skills required
- HBOC-McKesson Healthquest (HIS) experience preferred
- Microsoft Outlook experience
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at one time
- Ability to manage in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in English, written and verbal
Methodist Baytown Hospital, located 35 miles east of Houston, is
the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical
care for patients at every stage in life. This 230-licensed bed
hospital with 15 operating rooms and over 1,700 employees, brings
Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and
Keywords: Houston Methodist, Baytown , Admitting Representative II - Emergency Room (Nights), Other , Baytown, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!