Welder - Onshore - US
Posted on: January 21, 2023
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently sourcing for a Welder to join our team in
U.S. Only: Authorization to work lawfully in the US without
sponsorship from Wood is required .
- Selects type and size of pipe or other related materials and
equipment according to specifications.
- Selects equipment and plans layouts, assembly, and welding,
applying knowledge of geometry, physical properties of metal
machining, weld shrinkage and welding techniques.
- May be required to use Gas-Metal Arc, Flux-Cored Arc,
Gas-Tungsten Arc, Submerged Arc, or Shielded Metal Arc welding
- Lays out, positions, aligns and fits components together in
various body positions.
- Bolts, clamps and welds together metal components of products
such as piping systems, plate, pipe and tube or structural shapes,
using arc and arc gas welding equipment. May weld in flat,
horizontal, vertical, or overhead position. May tack weld
- Connects cable from welding unit to obtain amperage, voltage,
slope and pulse as specified by procedure or supervisor.
- Obtains specified electrode and inserts electrode into portable
holder or threads consumable electrode wire through portable
- Starts power supply to produce electric current.
- Strikes arc which generates heat to melt and deposit metal from
electrode to work piece and join edges of work piece.
- Manually guides electrode or gun along weld-line, maintaining
length of arc and speed and movement to form specified depth of
fusion and bead, as judged from color of metal, sound of weld, and
size of molten puddle.
- May manually apply filler rod to supply weld metal. May clean
or degrease weld joint or workplace, using wire brush, portable
grinder, or chemical bath. May repair broken or cracked parts and
fill holes. May remove excess weld, defective weld material, slag
and spatter, using carbon arc gouge, hand scrapper, grinder or
power chipper. May preheat work piece, using hand torch or heating
furnace. May cut metal plates or structural shapes.
- Examines weld for bead size and other specifications.
- Capable of setting weld machine parameters and maintain weld
machine in working condition.
- Loads, transports and unloads material, tools, equipment and
- May assist in lifting, positioning and securing of materials
and work pieces during installation.
- Performs minor maintenance or cleaning activities of tools and
- Assists other mechanics as needed.
- Respiratory protection is common and may be required.
- Required to pass employer performance tests or standard tests
to meet certification standards. Performs only procedures certified
- Responsible for observing and complying with all safety and
project rules. Performs other duties as required.
- Use effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Be capable of listening and communicating with other
supervision and employees.
- Be motivated and work safely and productively.
- Understand and respond accordingly to all safety alerts,
warnings, hazards, etc.
Skills / Qualifications
Journeyman with 3 years and above documented field experience in
chosen craft discipline with ability to read and interpret
instructions and document, plan and perform work activities
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering, helping to
unlock solutions to critical challenges in energy and materials
markets. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions
in 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people.
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a
diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and
without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list):
race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability,
sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or
other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing
Keywords: Wood, Baytown , Welder - Onshore - US, Other , Baytown, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!